Sunday, April 17, 2011

New Mosaic Project

I spent much of Sunday working on my newest mosaic project.  With some color assistance from Katrina, its turning out to be a pretty cool mosaic.

My essentials for working on a mosaic - drink (today it was Coca Cola, and remote control - I watched three movies and 5 episodes of Friends).  Yes, thats a lot of television, but I'm not mindlessly watching - I'm mosaicing!


Now that I see it, the picture does not do it justice.  I will do my best to take a better picture when I complete it...or I'll have Katrina take the picture.  

Friday, April 15, 2011

Red Swirl Mirror

I finished another mosaic today.  This is another one that I have been working on for awhile - work on it, put it away, work on it, put it away, finally finish it.



I used black and red Tiffany mosaic glass with black grout on a simple IKEA mirror frame.


Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it.  It's a nice little mirror.  Katrina think I should have used a lighter grout (I used black), but I think it would have looked to fractured.  I did learn one thing from this project, that I should have 'keystoned' the red swirls.  This means I should have cut them at angles to make the curves fit together like an arch.  Oh well, each project is a learning experience.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Go Broncos!

I just completed mosaic #3 - Denver Broncos.  I started this project around Christmas time.  I worked on it, set it aside, worked on it, and set it aside.  Finally, this past week I completed the project and painted the frame.


I started the project by working on the Bronco, since it is the main focal point.  Once this was done, I started work on the background and Bronco's orange mane.  


The letters proved to be the biggest difficulty for me.  It took a lot of practice to get the glass pieces cut properly.  You can read it, thats what counts!


Once again, I used Tiffany mosaic glass, as thats about the only thing I can get around here.  

I really like how the Bronco logo turned out.  I also like the colors, especially the deep blue.  When I grouted this project, I made a huge mistake.  I used white grout.  This really blended the white together, but gave all the blue background a 'fractured' look.  Only afterwards, when I was desperate to fix it, did I read some basic rules for grout colors in one of my books.  I decided to experiment and see if I could mix a batch of grey grout and overlay it on the white.  It worked.  Now the Bronco looks a little fractured, but I like the look, and the background is not detracting from the Bronco as a focal point.

Go Broncos!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First Star

I completed my second mosaic today.  It's been an off and on project since October.  I completed the glass work way back in November, but I never sealed or painted the edges or backside.  I did that this week.



I used Tiffany mosaic glass and a self basic design for this 'First Star'.  
50cm diameter